Question about grid locations

Home Forums HFSIG Question about grid locations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gusek
    Participant

I recently got the 20m module and eventually got it setup by editing the runwspr directly. Apparently there’s an issue with how the wireless updates are made in the latest version of the Raspberry Pi on the Pi 4.

It’s been running well except for one issue. When it sends out the message it’s clipping the grid location to only 4 characters instead of 6. So the location is VERY wide covering the middle of NC.

In the runwspr I’ve got the grid location as EM95xx but it’s getting reported as EM95. I’ve tried upper and lower case xx with no change in what’s getting reported.

I haven’t started to dig through the code yet, and was wondering if anyone else has run across this?

Thanks

Robert Gusek
    Participant

After some more research I discovered the issue. It’s a limitation of the WSPR protocol only being able to send a 4 character locator.

This is a PDF describing the issue, and three possible work arounds. I went ahead and used the third option and it worked beautifully.

https://www.qrp-labs.com/images/appnotes/AN002_LT.pdf

Now I think I’m going to be looking into setting up a receive station and start uploading reports myself ­čÖé

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.