HPSDR - Hermes Transceiver Board
Hermes is a single board Digital Up and Down Conversion (DUC/DDC) full duplex HF + 6m multi-mode transceiver.
Hermes has the following features and facilities:
- Uninterrupted coverage from 50kHz to 55MHz
- Supports Real-Time display of entire spectrum from 0-55MHz (with suitable PC software)
- Supports 7 fully independent receivers (sharing the same antenna - and with suitable PC software)
- Each receiver can display 48/96/192kHz of spectrum
- Blocking Dynamic Range (ARRL Method) - no detectable gain compression below ADC overload
- High performance receiver . same specifications as the HPSDR Mercury receiver (ie Dynamic Range typically 125dB)
- Transmit and receiver image rejection > 110dB
- Transmitter two-tone 3rd order IMD of -50dBc on 20m @ 400mW output
- 500mW RF output on 160 . 10m amateur bands, 350mW on 6m
- Built-in high performance preamp, with a noise floor typically -135dBm in 500Hz
- Software-selectable 31dB input attenuator in 1dB steps
- FPGA code can be updated via the Ethernet connection
- Seven user-configurable open-collector outputs, independently selectable per band and Tx/Rx (for relay control, etc - with sequencing via PC code)
- Separate open-collector PTT connection for amplifier control, etc, with sequencer
- Microphone PTT jumper-selectable from tip or ring connection
- Bias for electret microphones via jumper
- Four user-configurable 12 bit analog inputs (for ALC, SWR etc)
- Three user-configurable digital inputs (for linear amplifier over temperature, etc)
- Can operate from a 13.8v DC supply or +12v and +5v supplies
- Jumper selected in-built low noise and high efficiency switch mode power supply designed by Kjell Karson,LA2NI . less than 600mA (receive - one receiver) from a 13.8V supply
- I2C bus connector for control of external equipment
- Full QSK operation (performance dependant on associated PC and control software)
- Low-level transmitter output for transverter use via user-selectable output attenuator
- Stereo audio outputs at line and headphone levels
- In-built 1W stereo audio amplifier for directly driving speakers
- Direct, de-bounced connections for a Morse key (straight or iambic) and PTT
- Low phase noise (-140dBc/Hz @ 1kHz at 14MHz) 122.88MHz master clock,which can be phase-locked to an internal 10MHz TCXO or external frequency reference
- Direct ribbon cable interface to Apollo 15W power amplifier, low pass filters and automatic ATU or Alex Antenna switch, HPFs and Tx LPFs
- Ethernet interface supports fixed, APIP or DHCP IP address
- Hermes responds to ping and ARP requests, auto senses Ethernet cable connection and connection speed
- PCB is 160mm x 120mm, 8 layers
More detail are available at the Hermes Wiki Page.
Due to cost of production, the ordering process will be somewhat different than any previous HPSDR projects. Hermes will be produced in a single production batch whose size is based on the number of orders places on this page prior to July 25. The number of orders placed up to and including July 25 will be the production quantity. No extra A&T Hermes will be produced by TAPR.
Credit cards will be charged for the cost of Hermes plus estimated shipping once the order quantity reaches 250.
Shipment is expected to be as early as September 6th or as late as October 15th.
Hermes IS SOLD ON AN AS-IS BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
All Hermes boards will be tested prior to shipment, and all boards will be working when they are shipped. To the extent that we have available inventory, we may, at our discretion, agree to a one time only exchange.
This is a low volume production, experimental item. TAPR is a small, not- for-profit organization of volunteers who have helped facilitate this project because we believe it is a cool thing to have. In order for TAPR to be able to offer this board at all, we must rely on the support of all users in the HPSDR community. The Hermes board is basically a group buy that we have chosen to pre-build because of the difficulty of assembly. TAPR expects that Hermes buyers will seek help on the HPSDR Discussion List before looking to TAPR for problem resolution.
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING INFORMATION
Default shipping will be via USPS PRIORITY MAIL with insurance. Estimated shipping cost is $50 to Australia as an example. Other countries may be slightly less.
Shipping to most EU countries has a maximum insurance of $500 to $650. Please indicate in your order (in the message text box) if you will accept this lower insurance or if we should explore an alternate such as FedEx or UPS who will insure for the full value. Because of the insurance limit to many countries we will ship any orders of more than quantity 1 as multiple shipments. That is if you order 3 to a country with a low insurance limit , it will be treated as 3 seperate orders. If you want to check the insurance cap for your country, you may do so at USPS.COM.
Since opening this page for orders we have checked the UPS and FedEx rates to the Netherlands. Rates to other EU countries should be similar. UPS rate for one Hermes is $93.00, FedEx is $86.
Hermes Assembled and Tested
Sorry, Hermes is no longer available
Hermes Bare PCB
Sorry, Hermes Bare PCB is no longer available
Other HPSDR kits
Alex Bandpass filters ... Read more.
Atlas Backplane ... Read more.
Excalibur Reference Oscillator ... Read more.
Janus Audio Converter ... Read more.
LPU Power Supply ... Read more.
Magister USB Interface ... Read more.
Mercury RX Module ... Read more.
Pandora Enclosure ... Read more.
PennyLane TX Module ... Read more.
PennyWhistle PA ... Read more.
Pinocchio Extender Board ... Read more.